Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Welcome to my world!

This blog is about exactly what the title states - “living and working free.” Now, to make sure this concept is perfectly clear, I DO NOT mean living FOR free nor working FOR free. I mean living and working freely under our own rules, terms and conditions for our lifestyles and workstyles. And, it is important to note that there are no rules, terms or conditions carved in stone that tell us how we should live or how we should work. The only rules are those that we each establish for ourselves in our own hearts and minds . . . unless we adopt the rules, conditions and terms that others may want to impose on us.

My postings here are going to be based on MY feelings, opinions, concepts, wants and needs. What I say may or may not apply to you – or perhaps only parts of what I say may apply to you. So, do not, under any circumstances, consider anything I say here to be gospel. What I say only pertains to me and my life. The operative word in all of this is “FREE!” I hope by posting my thoughts and feelings here that I might be able to instill a feeling of freedom in each person who lands on this blog and chooses to read it. Will it change your life? I sure hope so, but not to my benefit and credit – rather to your own benefit and credit.

This is beginning as a blog. A podcast will follow very shortly. The podcasts will mainly introduce readers of the blog to various individuals who are living, what they consider, free lifestyles and have found a way to free themselves from the more traditional work models, so they can work freely. These interviews will not necessarily – and probably most likely not – be with financially wealthy people. However, they will all be with people who live rich, fulfilling lives.

Money is not the only measure of success. You can't buy happiness with money, but it can make life more comfortable. Everyone needs some amount of money to sustain whatever lifestyle they choose for themselves. The real issue, too often, is that we don't determine what REALLY makes us happy and fulfilled. So, we tend to center ourselves around the JOB and the largest amount of MONEY we can get and while we spend 30, 40, 50 years of our lives slaving at some job that, statistically, is unfulfilling to more then 70% of the workforce. Our most valuable – actually priceless – commodity is slipping by virtually unnoticed UNTIL – we reach or pass middle age and wonder where all the TIME of our lives went. It's actually obvious – it went to making money, too often trying to keep up with the Joneses or buying into the latest greatest trends, fads, gadgets, doodads, etc. One day, we will realize all of this has just accumulated as so much “stuff” and we are now in the warehousing business. We are now storing outdated, unused (possibly under used or never used) things that cost us money to warehouse and insure and require space that we wouldn't need for any other reason other then to store the stuff.

So, living and working free means determining in your own mind and heart what is REALLY IMPORTANT to you, creating a lifestyle that reflects what really fulfills you and sets you free to enjoy the TIME of your life. It means finding work that you find fulfilling and you can enjoy and even be passionate about. Sure, you may not earn a six figure income – or maybe not even a high five figure income – but how much was the second, minute, hour, day worth that just went by. Can you buy another second of time . . . or a minute, hour or day? Time is my most valuable – and priceless commodity. I am really no longer willing to sacrifice my priceless time to do anything that I don't want to do, don't like doing or just, in general, I find a waste of my time. I will only “trade” my time for “money” when what I'm doing with that time is fulfilling, satisfying and enjoyable – in my personal opinion (and no one else's opinion really counts since it's my life and my time).

So, that's what this blog is all about. I'll expose you to ideas, concepts, opportunities, lifestyles, workstyles, people, places and so on. I very much invite your comments and if you have something you'd like me to post as part of this blog – submit it to me at ed.helvey@gmail.com I'll review it and let you know if it fits. I'll also go on a rant once in a while, so be prepared. There are a lot of injustices, incompetence, inconsiderateness, etc. in this world – well, whoever said this world or life was fair, anyway – but it's still my prerogative to rant on my own blog. I ask that you read my rules for commenting. I want this to be an open forum of thought and ideas, but I will not allow anything inflammatory or being unkind, abusive, negatively critical of me or anyone else who comments or posts on this blog. I will personally moderate all comments and, accordingly, act as judge and jury.

In closing this first, introductory post, I want to give credit to a book and its author as my inspiration for this blog. The book is Working Free: Practical Alternatives to the 9 to 5 Job by John Applegath. The book was published in 1982. I read it in 1986 or 1987 and it took me 20 years to, finally, locate the author. I spent three terrific days with John in Durham, NH and found him to be delightful. He and several friends he introduced me to while I was there, basically live and work free. I have some recorded interviews with all of them and they will appear in the future in podcasts. Since part of what I have done over my lifetime has been publishing books – John has regained his rights from the original publisher and I'm going to republish his book in the near future.

Another person you'll hear from and whose book also was an inspiration is Barbara Winter, whose book, Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work that You Love, is still in print, I believe. She was easier to track down and I have been in contact with her by e-mail and phone. Barbara and I have not yet met in person, but I intend to meet her this summer in Las Vegas. (Yeah, I know, Las Vegas is not the place to go in the summer – but that's where she is and that's where I'll be attending a conference and expo on podcasting.) And there are a lot more folks just like these that I'll introduce you to.

Thanks for reading this long first posting. If you think this is something that's going to be of interest to you, then please subscribe. And, when the podcasts begin, I hope you'll find them interesting, too, and will subscribe to them as well. Oh yeah – and I want to use the viral marketing concept (we used to call it word of mouth in my younger days) and so I would ask you to pass this on to your family, friends and colleagues. Invite them to read it and subscribe if it makes sense to them, too. I'm going to repeat this posting from time to time so new readers will understand what this blog is all about – probably around the first of each month. So, if you see it appear again – it's really not deja vu all over again – it's really a repeat.

Enthusiastically,

Ed Helvey

1 comment:

czar said...

Ed: Good to see you're back in the blogosphere with your valuable perspective. If your readers and podophiles want an inside glimpse at one person's experiences in living and working free, I'd invite them to look as well at my own blog: boblandedits.blogspot.com, where I talk about how I do what I do in the working- and living-free world, treading that thin line between honest postings and hopefully not scaring off potential clients. All the best, Bob.