Thursday, February 19, 2009

Let’s Get Back To Simplifying Life . . .

M. Scott Peck stated it in three words - the opening three words of the first chapter of The Road Less Traveled. It’s been a long time since I read that book and after my downsizing and elimination of shelves and shelves of excellent books - The Road Less Traveled is still in my small, very personal collection of books. I don’t have to reread his first three words, I’ve committed them to memory - they are . . . “Life is difficult.” Can’t make that any simpler nor profound. I see my friends all dealing with so many issues, sending mail or shipping a package, getting car repairs, technology failures and getting it fixed or replaced, family issues, job and business challenges and so on. The list is too long to enumerate. I’m dealing with it and so are you and most people.

This complexity is pervasive in our society. Our quality of life is absolutely better then it was 50, 100, 200, 500 years ago. But, at what price does this “improved” quality of life come? I discovered a small book by Elaine St. James about 9 or 10 years ago. Along with The Road Less Traveled, Elaine’s book, Simplify Your Life, is among those “keepers.” I actually also own a hard cover, compilation version of three of Elaine’s books on various aspects of the simplification topic. My copy of Simplify Your Life is well highlighted, color coded and annotated. In the book are 100 ideas for slowing down and simplifying one’s life. She talks about the idea of enjoying the things that really matter. I went through the book and found things that had an immediate impact on me. Some of the ideas she pointed out I had already implemented in my life. Others were things that made sense to me for myself. Still others didn’t influence me one way or another - they were not of importance to my personal life. So, I developed a color coding system - if I had already implemented it I highlighted the title in green. If I was in the process of implementing something, it was highlighted in pink. Ideas I was considering or would implement in the future I highlighted in yellow. If I felt an idea had no value in my life, I left it alone. I revisit the book regularly to see how I am progressing.

So, as part of my writing here, I’m going to touch on some of these ideas and actions I’ve taken. Number one is “Uncluttering.” Now, this might seem obvious, but most people are guilty of it. Clutter can be a lot of things. It can be tangible or intangible “stuff” that we have accumulated over time, often a lifetime. We keep it for lots of different reasons such as, “we might need this again someday.” Usually not, but we have it just in case. I know both men and women - this may be more a women’s trait - who keep clothes and shoes, coats and even “accessories” like costume jewelry they never wear anymore. One excuse for this is because it will come back into style again someday. Possibly, but will it still fit you if it ever does? We know that the fashion industry stays in business by always changing designs, creating new colors and combinations, etc. Skirts go up, skirts go down - trends and fads are created and ultimately most of those clothes that are kept will never be worn again (except maybe to a “vintage” theme party).

Guys may very well be guilty of keeping old shirts, worn jeans they can use for work clothes, tee shirts from vacations past and long past their useful life and similar stuff. Here’s another one for the guys. I was guilty of this. I still had all of my military uniforms more then 20 years after I was out of the military (my father kept his, too). I was never going to be in the military again, they didn’t fit anyway and all the current uniforms had changed. I got rid of them, finally . . . well, except for a few select items. It’s probably time for them to go, too.

Oh, and here are other things (these apply to both genders) to think about when decluttering in the clothes closet, chest of drawers, dresser and jewelry case. Typically, we only wear about 20% of the clothes in our active wardrobe 80% of the time. The same goes for shoes, socks, underwear, scarves, accessories like earrings, pins, broaches, neck chains, bracelets and rings you haven’t worn in years. If some of your jewelry has significant value you can “gift” it early to your offspring so you can have the enjoyment of seeing them wear it. If you don’t have any offspring or they don’t want it, then sell it and put the money toward retirement, a rainy day fund or a trip around the world before you’re too old to make that trip.

More on this topic in another posting, but I will recommend that you consider acquiring Elaine St. James book, Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things that Really Matter. It’s published by Hyperion, small book, fast read and LOADED with ideas that can make your life so much simpler and freer. Another book I would recommend on decluttering your life is Clutter’s Last Stand: It's Time to De-Junk Your Life! by Don Aslett, published by Marsh Creek Press. Both authors have other books on various facets of life simplification and decluttering. You’ll never be free as long as you’re hauling around truck loads of stuff that is now - TO YOU - useless stuff.

Enthusiastically,
Ed

1 comment:

John W. Abert said...

I, personally, have never understood the mentality of "hoarding", although as I get older, I can more understand how people work their way into it so gradually that they don't even realize it's happening. Maybe it becomes normal to them, and they just don't think about it.

I have been in houses where they have boxes stacked so high that you can't even see the walls, and there's nothing but a path to get from one room to the other. CSI Las Vegas did a story segment on their show of such a situation where a guy couldn't even find his wife! That should be a wake up call to anyone like that, to realize what they have become, and to do something about it! If they haven't seen something in the last year, then why on Earth do they need it in the first place? That kind of cluttering up the property you live in is nothing more than a germ would do! It impossible to keep a place clean when you can't get to it to clean it, and all it does is breed more germs!

We are in our de-cluttering mode here, with having a yearly garage sale and putting things on eBay that have the possibility of bringing more in that venue. Anything that doesn't sell in the garage sales is going to a local guy who buys up leftovers, and in some cases, I am not even worrying about getting anything for it. We have no one to leave it to that would want it, so we might as well reap the rewards of it for our own retirement!

Years ago, when our own vacation house was rented, the rental company would give us another one to use. They are all furnished minimally... just enough to be able to relax and not have to worry about tasks to be done or things to do. We got out and investigated the rest of the world instead of sitting at the house, and that's what we are striving to get back to with our own house. The peace of mind that an uncluttered house brings is worth whatever it takes to accomplish it!