Saturday, October 2, 2010

About My New Residence and the People Who Make It Possible

So . . . why and how does one become a wandering nomad? Since Big Brother wants to keep track of us all the time, it’s a real challenge to maintain a low profile. Of course, if you run just about any kind of business, Big Brother is all over you. Many people have just accepted this and figure there is nothing they can do about it. To a point, they are correct. In one manner or another, we are “numbered” and trackable. I don’t mean this to sound paranoid, since I’m really not paranoid in the least. I simply want to retain as much privacy about my life as I choose for myself. However, the government tracks us through our Social Security Number, so you want to use that number the least amount you possibly can. You are often asked for it in situations that do not legally require you to divulge it. DON’T! Also, the government has turned the credit card companies, the banks, etc. into agents to keep track of you. And, under the Patriot Act, I’ve had to hand my drivers license to the desk clerks at every motel I’ve stayed at on this trip even if you’re paying CASH!.

Well, cash is part of the answer. If you deal in cash and pay in cash, you can cut down some of the paper trail if you choose to retain a bit more privacy then most people have. By the way, since the Patriot Act went into effect, we now have the Z Backscatter Scanners appearing in more and more airports, every week. If you go through one of those scanners, the last vestige of your privacy is gone as the inspector literally sees through your clothes. But, to take that one step further, look at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iABPKd0vFxQ and realize that a search warrant is no longer necessary to look into your car, truck or even your business or home. Certainly, there are obvious national security justifications for this technology to be used, however, it also removes, to a pretty significant degree, the Constitutional protection against illegal search. My point here is not to dispute the technology or rant about government extending their intrusion into our lives. It’s simply to make my personal point about attempting to retain as much of my personal privacy and transparency as I choose.

That being said, I have chosen the route of becoming a “homeless,” wandering nomad. The governments, local, state and federal, don’t particularly like people who fall into this classification. As a matter of fact, I just found out from Don Hume, owner of Americas-Mailboxes, that the IRS has a classification for people like us. We are “homeless, slightly affluent” people. I guess that means, that we are not penniless, homeless people who live in alleys and parks in various big cities. We, actually, have some financial worth in some form, thus, they need to keep track of us to be sure they can extract the governments’ share of that financial worth. I do not have a problem with paying some taxes to provide for the basic services that I utilize. But, the vast number of things that the government spends taxpayer funds on do not directly, and most often, indirectly serve me. As a matter of fact, most people would take care of themselves as humans always have. Humans are resourceful and creative. But, when you take away the necessity of being resourceful and creative, dependence is the result. I choose to be Independent and make do for myself.

Don and Barb Hume, formed Americas-Mailboxes six years ago in Rapid City, SD. Don had suffered a stroke about ten years ago and after he recovered, he went back to his corporate job and spent one day there and realized his time was too valuable to spend there any longer. He resigned and he and Barb became full-time RVers and wandering nomads. They sold everything and climbed aboard their “box” as Don calls it and set out to explore the U.S. and Canada. He found a small company in SD (Don and Barb are from Chicago) that could provide this unique service of a “virtual” residence and mail handling/forwarding for them. Unfortunately, this individual didn’t fully grasp the concept of customer service, integrity and honesty to the fullest extent. This triggered Don and Barb’s move to establish their own business in Rapid City. Starting out six years ago, they had acquired about 15 accounts after about 6 months. Today, they serve thousands of wandering nomads including full-time RVers, travel nurses, over the road truck drivers and others whose lifestyles make them itinerant and not conducive to owning or renting a “home” in a fixed location.



The photos above show my new “virtual” residence at 2040 W; Main Street, Rapid City, SD. The second photo shows the main office for Americas Mailboxes on the second floor of the building. Don and Barb are the largest tenant in the office building and occupy several other office suites with their operations. My tiny box (residence) is in one of those other suites. The bottom photo is Don and Barb’s “box” that they live in, parked in a parking lot behind the office building. They really are full-time RVers. So, they know the wandering nomadic lifestyle and, thus, can relate well with the several thousand clients they serve. They not only talk the talk, they walk the walk.




Here are the brains who keep things running on a day to day basis for Don and Barb. First, is Amber, who, coincidentally, is also the resident agent for my new South Dakota LLC. Next is Dawn. These two young women are personable, knowledgeable, capable and from my perspective, really love what they do in making the lives of the happy wanderers they serve so much better. The bottom photo is a shot of the USBank branch where I now have bank accounts and will utilize their on-line banking system to take care of most all of my banking needs. The bank is immediately across the street from the Americas-Mailboxes building. There is another Dawn at the bank, the branch manager, who is also personable, knew immediately how to set up my accounts (since Don and Barb refer lots of folks over there) and she's very customer service oriented. I missed capturing a photo of Dawn. Maybe in the future. I have to say, everyone I met and had any dealings with has been very friendly and very knowledgeable. Don told me about a two phase project he’s undertaking with Americas Mailboxes, but I’ll save that for another time in the future. All I will say is he got to name THE street. How often do any of us get to name a street?




These last three photos show you my “temporary” residences while I moved to Rapid City. In the top photo, if you see Room 202 above the Office sign, that was my “pad.” The next photo shows you the establishment. And the bottom photo shows you my other “temporary” residence. Yes! That is a Walmart and yes, those are RV’s parked in front of the Walmart. There are probably thousands of Rapid City residents whose address shows up on the voter registration rolls as 1200 N. LaCrosse St. Obviously, now mine, too.

This has truly been another adventure. Don and Barb and the team in Rapid City are terrific people. I had several lengthy conversations with Don and he is another of the people in this country who is both a patriotic American and loves freedom and liberty. I’m happy they are now part of my circle of friends and business associates. IF you are interested in pursuing this kind of lifestyle and are looking for honest people with integrity and believe in customer service. I cannot recommend Don and Barb and their team at Americas-Mailboxes enough. Contact me if you want complete contact information or go to their Web site at www.americas-mailboxes.com Tell them I sent you. I don’t get paid, but they do have some nice perks for referrals.

That’s it for this post. Next post, I’m going to give you my impressions of Rapid City and include some photos to help you get a feel for this very nice little city nestled at the foot of the Black Hills.

Enthusiastically,
Ed

No comments: