Sunday, December 25, 2011

Photo of the Week #34 – Winter on the Ranch


We’re back in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia this week. Since I no longer live on the ranch, it’s now a travel location for me. When I’m in the area, I attempt to drive by the old homestead once in a while. The fences are falling into disrepair. That’s sad because it does detract from the beauty of the property. I always made sure the fences were kept up.

This photo was from the winter of 2007, about a year and a half or so before I left the ranch. Yes, indeed, we did see our share of snow in the Valley. Not every year mind you. Some years we barely had enough to even consider plowing the nearly quarter mile driveway to the house. But, in 2003, two weeks after I moved in (on February 1st) I had major surgery and right after I got back to the ranch after the surgery we had 30” of snow around the house. It took a large Caterpillar bulldozer to plow the driveway. Thankfully, a neighbor had one and was opening up everyone’s driveway along the country road we all lived on.

I have to admit, though I’d just as soon not see snow, but it was mighty pretty on the ranch when the snow was on the ground. According to the weather predictions for the 2011/2012 winter we’re likely to see very little snow in this region. As a matter of fact, they are predicting the ski resorts from Virginia and parts of West Virginia north through Pennsylvania, New York and New England can look forward to a very poor skiing season this year. Now, here’s the caveat, when the forecasters predict little or no snow, we usually get clobbered by at least one significant blizzard. I plan to be on the road somewhere warmer when that happens. But, even Georgia and northern Florida have experienced snow in recent winters. So, where do I head? Happy Winter 2012.

No comments: