Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Down . . . But Not Out!


I have been down for a few days. It seems that some kind of nasty little bug invaded my system and temporarily kicked my immune system it the behind. Thankfully it was not a recurrence of the nearly microscopic deer tick that bit into my leg last spring and left me with a rather nasty case of Lyme Disease.

I believe this is just one of those little viral things that we refer to as the common “head cold.” It started off feeling like it might have just been some kind of sinus reaction, perhaps to some early pollen, although I have never had any allergies that I know of. But, I though that since the weather this year (the warmest year on record) has been so strange and there were trees and plants beginning to bloom in mid to late February in this little valley in West Virginia, I might just be reacting to it.

Well, it then moved to a cough that was not at all comfortable and then finally, over the weekend, it blossomed into a full on head cold. It caught me by surprise and actually drained me of most of my energy for a few days. But, I’m on the mend. I have regained some energy today; I don’t have to blow my nose as frequently as the past few days (every couple minutes). The sneezing has all but ended. The only thing of consequence that lingers is the cough and I fear that I’ll have to deal with that for some time, yet.

Fortunately, I didn’t have any fever symptoms and I didn’t suffer a sore throat. So, all and all, it’s running its course and leaving me relatively okay. This cold seemed to be a bit more severe then the average cold I get. I don’t know if there is some virulent strain this year. I’ve heard people say, “It’s going around.” But, then we tend to hear that a lot.

Nothing big, reporting that I had a cold, that is. I simply thought I’d mention it here because it’s another of those “life happens” events that we don’t count on and it can either slow us down or stop us in our tracks. This one slowed me down quite a bit. I had already fallen behind on a couple things I was working on and this definitely put me even a bit further behind. So, the next several days are going to be catch-up days.

So much to do, so little time to do it.

No comments: