Sunday, July 8, 2012

Photo-of-the-Week #62 – “Ed in the Morning” on KBHR Radio, Cicely, Alaska



This is a fun photo and it’s brand new, taken on June 30, 2012. Indeed, that’s yours truly and the photo was taken with my camera. And for those of you who have any remembrance of the radio station KBHR, this scene will look familiar. Actually, this was where the “Chris in the Morning” radio show was set in the fictional town of Cicely, Alaska in the award winning TV show, “ Northern Exposure” that ran from 1990 through 1995.

Actually, Cicely doesn’t exist and this set is in the store front of what is now the visitors’ center in Roslyn, Washington, a small town of about 800-900 people in the eastern part of the Cascades about 85 miles from Seattle. This is the actual town where most of the exterior shooting for the TV series was done including the famous opening shot of the Roslyn Café with the moose walking past it. I knew the town was in Washington State, but didn’t realize how close to Seattle it was. When I learned it was only 85 miles, there was no way I could pass up this opportunity.

I’ll be doing an entire post about my delightful visit to Roslyn (Cicely) in the near future with lots more photos. But, for me, with a background in recording and broadcasting, there was no way I could pass up this photo op when the charming and informative woman, Deborah, who was manning the visitors’ center the day I was there, offered to take the picture. If you remember the show, a comedy/drama about the quirky people who inhabited the fictitious town of Cicely, Alaska, I hope this photo brings back some fun memories of the show and the character, Chris, the morning DJ who was also the town philosopher and narrator for the show.

No comments: