Sunday, May 26, 2013

Photo-of-the Week #108 - Do You Know The Way To San Jose, Parker, Arizona, April 2010



Okay! So, San Jose is a long way from the California - Arizona border at Parker, Arizona. But, you can get to San Jose from here, it's just a very long drive.

Actually, for me, this is the third of four places I've drive across the border dividing California and Arizona. Three of the border crossings were on interstate highways. This is the only crossing that was a two lane state highway. On the Arizona side of the Colorado River it was Arizona State Highway 95 and on the California side it became California State Highway 62.

I took this photo in April of 2010. Since that time a new bridge is being constructed to the south or left of the bridge I'm crossing in my photo. I didn't spend any real time on the California side during this crossing. I crossed just so I could say I did. But, the small town of Parker only has a population according to the 2000 census of about 3,150 people. Climatically, Parker would be a nice place to spend the winter. However, with daily temperature in the 100 to 120 degree mark during June thru September, I'm not sure it's the most hospitable place during the summer. Parker is only about 36 miles from Quartzite, Arizona, a popular snowbird location for full time RVers and Van Dwellers.

Parker, Arizona, one more place I can stick a pin in my map indicating that "Ed's been here."

2 comments:

Linda Sand said...

I cross that bridge a lot every winter. I spend much time in a park on the California side but do all my shopping in Parker. It is indeed a good winter climate.

Ed Helvey said...

Indeed, Linda --

I checked the annual temperatures in that area of Parker and, it's definitely NOT a place I'd want to spend my summers or even late spring or early fall. Parker was a pleasant small town, though. Maybe we'll cross paths there some winter.

Cheers,
Ed