Sunday, November 3, 2013

Photo-of-the-Week #131 Crossing The Mighty Mississippi, Memphis, Tennessee, October 2013


The skyline of Memphis, Tennessee, or at least part of it, from the bridge over the Mighty Mississippi River. I was crossing into Memphis from West Memphis, Arkansas. I've made this crossing several times since my first crossing in December 1969 on my way home from Lackland Air Force Base for some holiday leave time.

Unfortunately, the Mighty Mississippi didn't look much more mighty than the Mighty Passaic River in New Jersey that borders my hometown. I don't believe I've ever seen the Mississippi River as low as it was this time. I'm not sure if the level will come up this year. If it does rise close to its normal level, I'm afraid there will be some serious flooding up river from some of these massive storm systems that have been striking various parts of the country including Colorado and most recently Austin. Interestingly, it was just after I left Austin on my return trip from San Antonio when that weather system dropped about a foot of water on the very dry city. 

No comments: