Friday, December 6, 2013

Friday Finds #2

Okay, so it's Friday and, unlike last week when I posted the first issue of Friday Finds . . . on Saturday, I'm actually posting this week's offering on, believe it or not, Friday.

So, here are some interesting and diverse blog posts and articles I found and read this week. The information is varied enough that I hope you'll find something interesting and useful. You may not agree with some of the ideas, philosophies or views expressed, but that's okay. Actually, that's as it should be. It would be a very boring world if we all thought and believed the same thing all the time.

So, lets start off with a post from John Bardos, the Jet Set Citizen. John is a lot younger than I am and I don't always agree with him or see eye to eye on all issues involving living free, downsizing, minimalism and politics (thankfully, politics is not a major part of John's postings), but I really do relate to him and his thinking. In so many ways I see myself in John at his age. The big difference is that he is actually acting on and living the dream and life that I thought about, but as an entrepreneur, I was too busy (or so I thought and as a member of community, though I attempted to not conform . . . alas, I did, way more than I should have. But, hindsight is still 20/20. Check out John's post on

  
Next up is an interesting guy that I met and interviewed on a couple occasions for my SuccessTrax audio magazine during the mid-1980s. I don't think you'll run into many people like Jerry Gillies. Jerry is a very intelligent, talented and creative guy. He began his career as an investigative reporter, ultimately ending up with one of the major broadcast TV networks in New York City. While on an assignment, he became a convert of the positive mental attitude/success culture of the 60s and 70s, left the broadcast journalism business and became a best-selling author. His most notable work is "Moneylove," which sold over a million copies and though long out of print, still has a huge, global following. But, intelligence, talent and creativity don't necessarily mean you won't make some mistakes and in Jerry's case, his mistake ended him in Folsom State Prison (yep, the same one Johnny Cash sung about), one of the toughest maximum-security prisons in the country. He served 12 years at Folsom. His crime was not a violent crime, but it was enough to land him in Folsom. Now Jerry has regained his freedom (or several years since his release) and he is rebuilding his life, reviving some parts of "Moneylove" and being the same nice guy he was when I met him some 30 years ago. Most people would question why I would suggest you take advice from a convicted felon, but I feel totally comfortable doing so. Take a few moments and read Jerry's post


Well, I'll be a Monkey's Uncle! Well, who knows, that could be, after all some people feel that monkeys are people to -- or at least should have the same rights as people. Read this article from the BBC News - US & Canada

  
So, you don't believe that you can defy the law of gravity here on Earth, huh? Well, Jim Foreman, a traveler, writer and YouTube video producer says different. I enjoy reading Jim's articles and watching his YouTube videos. In this video, Jim takes us to a place called Magnetic Mountain located in the Arbuckle Mountains of southern Oklahoma. Jim had to see and experience this phenomenon for himself. Enjoy riding along with him

  
Earlier this week posted an article I wrote about Black Friday or is Black Friday turning into Black Everyday. In that article I quoted from an article by Brandon Smith where he spoke of Black Friday and "Sheeple." I included a link to the original article (actually, I forgot to include the link when I posted it, but I caught it later and added the link for anyone who read my post and couldn't find the link - it's there now) for anyone wanting more in depth insight from Brandon Smith. Well, Brandon has another article he posted earlier with a much more in depth definition/description of exactly what or who a "Sheeple" is. You might find it enlightening

  
One of my favorite bloggers about simplifying, minimalizing and downsizing is Courtney Carver and her "Be More With Less: Life on Purpose" blog. She is a young wife and mother who finally figured it out and got it together. She and her family live well and are happy, yet, they've discovered that the typical life, and particularly hers and her family's, lives in too much excess and complexity. So, over time, they changed all that. Perhaps, the latest major shift in their lives was selling their 2,000 sq. ft. house and now occupying 750 sq. ft. and in the process, wiping out the last vestige of debt in their lives. I offered Courtney's ebook titled Simple Ways to Be More With Less: Life onPurpose in an earlier post back in July 2011. In this recent post by Courtney, she discusses  


Finally, I happened upon this post in Jean's blog, "Tadpole Into Frog," a referral from Lois Field's blog, "Living Simply Free." One thing I've learned over the years is that you only need to pick up one good idea, one new insight or one bit of wisdom from OPE (other people's experience) to make anything you read worth the time invested. So it is with Lois's blog and so it is with Jean's post that I hope you'll take a few moments to read

  
There you have it. These are my Friday Finds for this week. I trust you'll gain some idea, insight, wisdom, a chuckle or just a moment of relaxation while you read through them. As always, let me know what you think via the comment section of this post. And, by all means, if you've discovered something that has been meaningful to you, pass it on. It just may become one of next week's Friday Finds.

No comments: