Sunday, February 16, 2014

Photo-of-the-Week #146 - The Bass Pro Pyramid of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee, October 2013


Not only is Egypt and Las Vegas famous for their pyramids, but Memphis, Tennessee has an iconic 32 story stainless steel and glass pyramid on the shores of the mighty Mississippi. Here is a shot of it I captured as I was crossing the Mississippi from Arkansas into Memphis on my recent trip to San Antonio, Texas.

The Memphis Pyramid has been the site for thousands to come and see basketball games and major concerts. Left vacant, Bass Pro, the outdoor camping and recreational retailer has taken over the facility and is turning it into a Super Store along with adding a hotel, restaurant and a marina as well as indoor rock walls, water falls and other camping/recreational delights. I believe the site will be opening sometime in 2014.

I took this photo while driving on the interstate right after crossing the Mississippi. I was probably traveling at somewhere between 50 and 60 miles per hour. I used my point and shoot Samsung camera to take the photo. When you're driving and sightseeing at the same time, you often have to forego looking at the sights in order to negotiate the traffic and stay alive. A reasonably fast digital camera (and a dash cam) allows me to review at a later time what I saw fleetingly as I travel the highways and byways. I love being able to stop the action even though I'm still in motion or I'm stationary and the subject is in motion.

No comments: