Sunday, March 30, 2014

Photo-of-the-Week #152 Boca Grande Lighthouse, Gasparilla Island State Park, Florida, February 2014


In 1890 The Boca Grande Lighthouse and assistant lighthouse keeper's house were built on Gasparilla Island at the Boca Grande Pass into Charlotte Harbor on the Gulf Coast of Florida. The lighthouse and assistant keeper's house are now part of the Gasparilla Island State Park and have been turned into a museum.

They are located on a beautiful, white sand beach and I was told that there is some pretty good deep-sea big-game fishing in the Gulf of Mexico outside Charlotte Harbor. Unfortunately, when I visited the island the museum had closed for the day about 15 minutes before I got there. I guess this calls for another visit to Gasparilla Island State Park, a not altogether bad circumstance. Actually, I'd really like to check this beach out again during a warmer season. I just might find some fine mermaid specimens there.

No comments: