Sunday, September 21, 2014

How To Avoid Being Lonely And Embrace Being Alone

One of my father's favorite songs was "Have You Ever Been Lonely." It was written and first recorded in 1933. I don't know which of the many artists who recorded the song inspired my father. I always thought it was Hank Williams, but he never recorded it.

I remember, as a kid, when my father would play his guitar and sing that song. Some of the words were, "Have you ever been lonely? Have you ever been blue? Have you ever loved someone, just as I love you?" Another line in the song was very prophetic. "How can I go on living now that we're apart?"

As I've looked back over the years at my father's short life (died at 42 by his own hand) and my life, the words have some deeper meaning to me. My parents, like many married couples, had their problems. As a young man, just coming of age when my father died, I didn't know how lonely his existence was. . .READ MORE

No comments: