Saturday, June 27, 2015

“Letting go gives us freedom . . .


. . . and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If, in our heart, we still cling to anything - anger, anxiety, or possessions - we cannot be free.”   

Thích Nhất Hạnh, The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation

I'm not a Buddhist. But, unlike yours truly, the Buddha could say a lot in just a few words. I don't know if it was much different in his times, but in an age when we have so much, we seem to have  a huge challenge in "letting go."

I spoke about this concept in my 12 Steps for Living Free. I understand from personal experience - and interestingly, I'm still learning about letting go. It is certainly a challenge for anyone desiring to realize what real personal freedom is about and how happiness and peace of mind follow in lock step.

Just a thought to ponder on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

No comments: