Thursday, October 3, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life – Fatigue – October 3, 2019 – Day 33

Fatigue is the best pillow. - Benjamin Franklin

Day 33 and that is what I'm experiencing. Fatigue! I don't know exactly what old Ben was thinking, but I'm sure not liking this fatigue. I guess I'm beginning to reach a point in this course of chemotherapy and radiation where this side effect, fatigue, is becoming prominent.

I am finding that I am reasonably functional for about 6 to 7 hours currently. Today should have been a pretty easy day. I only had my 15 minute radiation treatment. Then I drove over to my CPA's office to drop off some tax papers (yes, I'm one of those who seems to perpetually be on an extension each year even though my taxes are quite simple these days). And then I drove to the Walmart to pick up a couple prescriptions awaiting me. And, then it was back to Judy's house. It was about 3 PM.

I had to drag myself into the house and up the one flight of stairs to one of the spare bedrooms I'm using. I then parked myself on the bed and that was it. I didn't fall asleep. I answered emails and texts. But, I didn't have any energy to tackle any of the projects I had on my agenda for this afternoon. This is just not me. Sadly, I think this is going to get worse before it gets better. I have one more day of radiation this week.

Tomorrow, Carolyn is driving in from West Virginia to pick me up, take me over to the Cancer Center and then we'll drive back to West Virginia for the weekend. Monday she'll drive me back and I'll have another week of the same regimen . . . radiation five days, chemotherapy one day and a meeting with a new doctor after chemo on Wednesday. Only three more weeks to go. I will be finished with all the chemo and radiation on October 25th. Frankly, at this point, it seems like that could be a lifetime away.

By sometime next week I may begin to have difficulty eating traditional meals due to the effects of the radiation as well as the chemo. I was forewarned of this by Rodney Huff, my medical oncologist's “first officer.” So, I may move to smoothies and pureed foods. And, if it gets even more difficult, I may have a feeding tube inserted.

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm really not whining or complaining. Based on everything that led up to this circumstance, I could be pushing up daisies. I'm thankful and in awe that I'm alive and able to experience this adventure. What's the old saying, “When the going gets tough, the tough get going?” I'm not the first person to go through this and I'm surely not going to be the last. And, so far, I'm doing great. I work very hard at keeping my attitude up. But, that doesn't mean I don't have 'my times.'

Not much else to say right now. Again, I remind you that at the beginning of this series of articles there would be some boring posts. It takes energy to keep the wheels turning in the brain to generate interesting prose. That energy is not in me tonight. So, with that I'll simply say . . .

Live free and be happy. EH

1 comment: