Sunday, December 2, 2012

Photo-of-the-Week #83 - Starbucks #1, Seattle, Washington, June 2012



Here is Starbucks #1. This is where it all started in 1971. Well, this is actually Starbucks #1 - #2 on Pike Place. This is the current location of Starbucks #1 from about 1975 or 76 until the present. Prior to that, it was located on Western Avenue. This current location is directly across the street from the Pike Place Public Market.

There's a certain cache about getting a cup of coffee, or in my case, a cup of tea at the very first store of a worldwide chain of coffeehouses numbering somewhere around 20,366 stores. Of course, because of that cache, you can pretty much plan on waiting in line to be served. On this trip, earlier this year, I opted not to wait in line. But, when I was there in November 2005, I did run the gauntlet and enjoy a Starbucks treat.

I should add a little disclaimer and say that I'm not really a big Starbucks fan and probably don't patronize the chain more than maybe five or six times a year. But, I'm still drawn in by unique and historical things. So, I can say, in this case, that I've had a beverage at #1. Actually, my favorite coffeehouse is a small private place in Sparta, North Carolina operated by my friend, Selma, who makes the absolute best Chai Tea Latte I've had anywhere in the U.S.    

No comments: