Thursday, September 19, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life – 15 Minutes – September 19, 2019 – Day 19


I firmly believe that if we all just took a little time – like 10 or 15 minutes a day – to do nothing but sit calmly with our thoughts, this world would be a much better place. - Michael Finkel

I have no idea who Michael Finkel is, but I am now embracing his idea, not by choice, but by necessity. Fifteen minutes is how long the entire radiation treatment takes from the time I scan my bar code until I leave the radiation treatment center. And, about 10 minutes of that time is spent prone, on a table, carefully positioned inside a mold made specifically for my body. The mold holds me in a precise position so when this massive machine is rotating around my body, it directs beams of radiation into me at precise points indicated by the tiny tattoos they placed on me a week or so ago. Refer to Day 4.

Michelle & Colleen, they beam me up!
I had radiation treatment #2 this morning. I have to say that it is one of the most efficient operations I've encountered. In and out in 15 minutes. And, believe it or not, it even includes time for a little kibitzing and some chuckles.

So, today Carolyn drove me for approximately 1½ hours from the West Virginia base to the Winchester, Virginia Cancer Treatment Center. We arrived on time. Within two minutes I was in the treatment room. Carolyn went to use the restroom. Within minutes of her sitting in the waiting area of the lobby playing a mind improving word game on her phone, I came walking out of the treatment center. She hardly had a chance to get warmed up with the game.

It was sort of anti-climatic. While I'm on that table, I can't move, so I get about 10 minutes of time to lay there calmly with my thoughts. It's actually very soothing and, even somewhat cathartic. I find it quite different than laying in bed and just thinking. While I certainly wouldn't have chosen to have to go through this kind of medical circumstance, as long as I have to, I'm doing my best to learn everything I can about the experience and find the positive facets to it.

I had a long-time friend who passed away about 10 years ago. His name was Charlie “Tremendous” Jones. Charlie was considered to be a “motivational” speaker. He was known around the world. His book was titled Life is Tremendous.” Guess where he got his nickname from? Charlie died at around 80 years old as a result of prostate cancer. He had been treated about a decade earlier, but unfortunately, his treatment wasn't as successful as mine. I'm a 17-year survivor of prostate cancer.

During the last few months of Charlie's life, we worked very closely to complete some projects he wanted to do before, as he termed it, he would go “home.” I remember one day, when we were taking a break from one of the projects, he said to me, and I paraphrase, “Ed, I'm only going to die once in this Earthly life. I want to learn as much as I can about the experience and enjoy it.” What a positive way to view and accept the end of life.

Charlie's attitude is channeling through me as I'm going through my experience. While I'm not facing an end of life situation, at least not at this time, Charlie's wisdom and attitude makes good sense for all of us to adjust our attitudes and seek out the positive in all situations. It's easy to fall into the negative. But, I'll pretty much guarantee that in the end, negativity will likely make life much less pleasant and probably shorter, too.

Carolyn and I did not drive the 90 minutes directly back to the West Virginia base. Instead, we took an excursion through a roundabout route to check out some places we were both interested in seeing. Additionally, she wanted to gain some information she was interested in acquiring. It turns out the places weren't all that interesting. But, she did get some good information to help her determine if she might be interested in taking up biking as something she'd like to do again. We also enjoyed a couple delicious and decadent ice cream cones in the touristy district of Cumberland, Maryland.

Then we headed to home base and relaxed for the rest of the day. Tomorrow we repeat the trip to the Winchester Cancer Center for the 15-minute treatment. However, we have a quick stop to make and then we'll head directly back to the West Virginia base. And, next week, I'll begin staying in Winchester at a friend's home during the week about 10 minutes from the cancer center. I'll do this for the next several weeks. This will save a lot of driving and stress for Carolyn. And, I'll feel better about not stressing her out.


While I shot a few photos today, I also captured the entrance and reception desk for the Chemotherapy Oncology Center that is directly across the lobby from the Radiation Oncology Center. And, upstairs is the Surgical Oncology Center. It's a well thought out and laid out facility. 

Well, that's all for today. Live free and be happy. EH

No comments: