Saturday, September 14, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life – A Refreshing Downpour Followed By Sunshine – September 14, 2019 – Day 14

Day 14 has arrived and is drawing to a close. It's been a very nice day. I've felt good all day. I had a couple of extremely enjoyable and uplifting phone calls. I've taken care of a little business. I've responded to some emails. And, Carolyn and I went for a drive to a couple nearby towns (nearby in this region is typically about 25 miles away).

It has now been 27 days since the “Fireball” struck me. It's hard to believe it's been nearly a month already. So, much has happened so rapidly. Of course, the first thing I have to mention is how thankful I am to have survived the “Fireball” that turned out to be a Stage III cancer. Second, I'm thankful to be cared about by so many people who have been so supportive beginning with my friend Carolyn. I'm not sure where I'd be without her support. And, of course, there are the friends and family who know of my situation. Even today, that is only a minimal number of people. I'll let others know in the near future. Of course, there is the crack team of medical professionals who are treating me.

Carolyn and I stopped at a small supermarket in one of the “nearby” towns I mentioned earlier. When we arrived, Carolyn went in to pick up a few things. We saw a very, very dark rain cloud coming toward us over the mountains. It arrived just a few moments after she went into the store. Then it came down like a waterfall. She finally made a break for the car that was parked a little way out in the parking lot. She was drenched.

Shortly after she got in the car, the sky started to clear up, was turning blue and the sun was starting to shine. Timing is everything, they say. We headed down the road, off that mountain toward the next small town where we were going to get something to eat.

Wouldn't you know it. We drove back into the torrential rain. By the time we arrived at the Wendy's we decided we both had a taste for, the rain had just about stopped, again. I got out and walked to the door. Carolyn was a bit behind me. Then I saw another “waterfall” heading toward us. I yelled for her to run and get to the building, but it was too late. She was drenched for a second time.

I managed to basically stay dry through it all. But, nature had Carolyn on her radar today. We got inside and, needless to say, she was freezing since they had the air conditioning on. We ordered our lunch and enjoyed it. By the time we finished, the sky was blue, the sun was out and the streets were already drying. I guess the old saying, especially, applied today. “Timing is everything.” But, it was still a good day. Like they say, into everyone's life a little rain must fall. Today it just happened to be a LOT of rain over a relatively short time.

I felt positive through the dark clouds and the rain. I had the feeling of renewal. Attitude is everything. We can choose to see anything as positive or negative. We always have a choice. I'm choosing to look for the positive in everything I see, hear, feel and experience. I'm still seeking the significance of having my first ever encounter with a porcupine last week. There is a message in that experience. I'm sure it will make itself clear one day.

Tomorrow will be Day 15 since I began writing about this new “adventure.” I don't expect it to be anything other than another extraordinary day that will have the sunrise again, even though it may be behind a cloud. And, this is all I have for today. Thanks for following my articles. I expect them to become more uplifting, inspiring and encouraging as each day and week progresses.

For now, here's another thought for you to ponder. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms. . . this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. - Albert Einstein

Live free and be happy. EH

2 comments:

John Abert said...

Everything is moving in a positive direction here, too, despite a little rain this morning, although not as much so far as usually comes with September. Appointments are at a standstill, and we might actually get that first move in progress before the end of the week. We've given up trying to do a second one, and instead, will drop off the rest on the way south. All we can do is keep on keepin' on!

KimTisha said...

Hi Ed, long time lurker, first time poster! I like your attitude, especially regarding looking for happiness and positivity in everything - it's something I try hard to do, not always easy but so much better than dwelling on the negative. About that porcupine.... I also had a strange encounter with a porcupine in South Jersey. According to the NJ Division of Fish Game & Wildlife, porcupines have never been spotted south of Trenton, NJ. But there I was, at 9pm sitting in front of Mom's house 20 miles south of Trenton, and a creature I'd never seen before came strolling past me as calm and casual as you please. I thought it was a skunk with a fancy hairdo until I realized it was far too big and not accompanied by any fragrance. It took me a minute to realize I was looking at a porcupine, it's massive quills swaying with each step. An amazing moment, and like you, I also looked for the meaning. Truth is, I was on the phone discussing a stressful family matter at the time of the sighting. No pun intended, but I was trying to resolve a rather "thorny" issue that was wreaking havoc on the family dynamics. The porcupine showed me that I can find beauty even in prickly situations. Maybe that's what your porcupine is trying to tell you. Following your journey with warm thoughts and best wishes.