Friday, September 13, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life – Frustration – September 13, 2019 – Day 13

The 13th day since I began chronicling my adventure with the Big “C.” It was a frustrating day. It was an aggravating day. My attitude slipped today. But, it wasn't because I wasn't feeling good. Actually, other than one slight after-effect of the first chemo treatment that isn't worth mentioning, it was because I had let something slide to the last minute – some papers I needed to get to my CPA.

Now, normally, this wouldn't be a big thing. But, because I'm operating, both my body and mind, in what I'll describe as “slow motion” due to my current state of anemia, I just couldn't get my mojo going. And, I'm sure you can relate to the idea that whenever you have a deadline to meet and you're counting on your technology, it will mess up and drive you a bit nuts. That describes my day.

I finally got the stuff done for the CPA, after his deadline. I won't go into detail. I lost a number of things on my computer as it decided to reset a number of parameters all by itself. This is an old computer. It's a very good one, but it needs to be completely reinitialized. That is a time consuming and a frustrating project that I'm just not up to at this moment.

The reality is, I need to get a new – or preferably a factory refurbished newer, more powerful version of this computer. Then when I get that one set up, I'll take the time to reinitialize this one and keep it for back-up. Meanwhile, I have at least two other computers that are also good computers, but not worth my time to mess with them. As I've said before, you can't live with them and you can't shoot them. I don't know how I survived pre-1990 before I became so all dependent on these devices. But, sometimes, I think it would be nice to go back.

At any rate. I don't know if I can find the things I lost while the computer decided to think for itself this afternoon. I'm not even sure I remember all that was there. But, I know some of it was important. One thing I know for sure, I'm very frustrated and tired right now. I'm going to keep this article short because I really don't have much more to say. My mind is rather numb at the moment. I will say, that physically, I still feel good. I'm just tired.

So, here is a thought to ponder for today. You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too., That's a part of it. - Denzel Washington

Live free and be happy. EH

5 comments:

John Abert said...

The latest Windows update wiped out everything on Sharon's laptop. If not for Carbonite, she would have lost everything, thanks to Microsoft's inept programmers. Thankfully, Carbonite was able to restore all files, but even then, they did not go back to where they were, like it has always done before...again, due to whatever Microsoft screwed up.

I have delayed the update on mine until today, but I need to make sure everything is backed up before I allow it to screw up my laptop!

Hopefully, after the update (and subsequent restorations), we can all keep on keepin' on!

Anonymous said...

John: I use Carbonite as well to back up my files. Great peace of mind amidst the treachery of invasive miscreants.

Anonymous said...

About computers, I agree that you can't live with them and you can't live without them. I have several websites, and I do a blog as the journal of my daily activities. I tried Windows-10 several years ago and went back to Windows-7. In a few months, Windows-7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft. Like you, I need a new computer but don't want to learn all the "bells and whistles." I just want simple!! ~~~ Sometimes I get myself into a computer mess by trying to repair all-by-myself. At 84 years "young" I just want to keep things "simple."

Keep on keeping on!! Have a blessed weekend!! Best wishes from Lorraine in Livingston, Texas.

John Abert said...

Agreed. Carbonite is well worth tge money.

John Abert said...

Windows 10 is OK, and it has the ability to use apps like a smart phone, so that technology is here to stay. Staying with outdated and unsupported technology is always short-lived. I solved the problem on Sharon's computer by establishing a new restore date prior to the new update, and then restoring the laptop to that date. The laptop reverted back to that date and all her files came back where they had been. If another update messes it up again the future, I'll deal with that when it occurs.