Sunday, December 11, 2011

Photo of the Week #32 – Tis the Season . . .


 

Indeed! Tis the season for all kinds of celebrations. Probably one of the most iconic symbols of the season for the past 78 years is the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. This tree is erected in late November and is removed the week after New Year’s Day. It is typically in the range of 70 to 100 feet tall, though there have been a few shorter 70 feet, but so far, none taller then 100 feet. The tree is adorned by some 30,000 lights. Recently the lighting ornaments were converted to LED lights.

The tree is located directly in front of the GE (formerly the RCA) Building and towers over the ice rink in Rockefeller Center during the winter season. Rockefeller Center is always a popular location for visitors and local shoppers alike all year long, but it’s especially crowded and festive during the Christmas holiday season. It’s one of the places I always enjoy venturing to when I infrequently visit Manhattan Island during the holiday season. This photo is probably about eight years old. When the tree is removed, the wood is used for various projects including the Habitat for Humanity.

If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you’re most likely aware that I grew up about 12 miles from Manhattan Island in northern NJ. You’re probably also aware that I am not a big fan of dense, congested, city living and working. While I enjoyed my visit to Rockefeller Center when I snapped this photo, you can see the density and congestion of Manhattan Island. I was surrounded by buildings and people. I couldn’t see the sky unless I looked straight up and in this location, the only green plants I could see were the Christmas tree and the other decorations typically made from pine trees and none of them were living plants. For me, this is a place to visit, not to live or work. This always reminds me why I live in far less densely populated and congested locations.

No matter how you celebrate this season or what your religious convictions might be, I wish you a happy and healthy and blessed holiday.

No comments: