Sunday, January 22, 2012

Photo of the Week #38 – A Western Maryland “Necessary” uh, Outhouse



A few years ago a friend and I were exploring some of the beautiful country in Allegheny and Garrett Counties in western Maryland. She is a native of that region and took me on a tour of some of the country off the main roads. We came across a farm with beautiful views of the mountains. There was also a wonderful cabin that was about 200 years old and this great example of an outhouse. 

Once upon a time, before running water, septic tanks and sewers were standard features, the outhouse was a necessary structure found on virtually every farm and country home. There are still some actively used outhouses to be found around the country, but today they are pretty rare. As a kid, my aunt and uncle had a farm in Sussex County, New Jersey. I had the opportunity to use their outhouse whenever we visited the farm or when I had the infrequent opportunity to stay at the farm for a weekend and hang out with my, now, long lost cousin, Virginia.

No comments: