Friday, September 27, 2013

The Ed Helvey WMSC FM Radio Interview - Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ed receiving his sign designating him as the first member (No. 1) of WMSC at lunch at Montclair State University on September 24, 2013. The sign was presented by Dick Hinchliffe, General Manager/Radio, WMSC-FM 90.3, and will be mounted on board "My McVansion," Ed's traveling turtle shell on wheels. Photo by: Debbie Galant, NJ News Commons, School of Communication and Media, Montclair State University
Listen to the Interview: 


First, let me thank all the folks who tuned in at 11 AM this past Tuesday morning to listen to yours truly being interviewed on the small college radio station, WMSC, I started over 46 years ago. I appreciate your support and your emails have been most gratifying. It also gave the General Manager at WMSC, Dick Hinchliffe an idea about the power of social media in promoting their radio station.

Now, being interviewed on radio or TV is not new to me. Being in the recording industry as well as having produced a number of hours of radio program and other interview based materials that I have long ago lost count of (along with the millions of feet of magnet recording tape that have passed through my hands during the editing and production process), this is pretty much second nature to me. And, I've been fortunate in my career to have spent time on both sides of the table as both the interviewer and the guest. But, this was very special. This was my genesis. This is pretty much where everything began for me. High school was just a necessity to get through. When I got to college, I began to bloom and Montclair State College was that catalyst for me. While my major was Industrial Arts, my unofficial major was extracurricular activities and The Voice of Montclair State, then WVMS and now, WMSC, was one of my earliest dreams and achievements.

But, it wasn't that I am single-handedly responsible for WMSC's existence. I had a team of people who I "preached" to about why the college needed a radio voice, what it would take for that to happen and how we would go about turning the dream into a reality. I thank everyone of those folks from the bottom of my heart because if it weren't for you, your belief in me and your belief in "The Dream," I wouldn't have been able to return to what has become Montclair State University, an institution that's five times larger than when I left, 46 years ago and a radio station that has not only endured throughout those 46 years, but has grown and is now a part of the teaching curriculum of that institution. I don't have a clue how many people have passed through the doors of WVMS/WMSC and it's several configurations and the trials, tribulations and challenges it's overcome, but I'm sure the number exceeds 1,000 people, all of whom have contributed something to my original dream and many of whom have gone onto careers in broadcast media because of their exposure to and time at The Voice of Montclair State and WMSC.

It was an honor. It was humbling. It was a pleasure. It was cathartic. It was a privilege. And, it was the fulfillment of the circle to, once again, be back in the studios - as different and state-of-the-art as they now are, of "My Baby." So, thank you to everyone over the years who has contributed. Thank you to the staff and faculty and current student staff of The Voice of Montclair State, WMSC for making me feel so welcome and at ease, like coming home, the prodigal son, returned.

Now, for those who wanted to listen, but couldn't due to schedule or technical challenges getting the live Internet stream from WMSC. For those who may have captured some of the interview, but were unable to hear it all. For those who learned about it too late due to my rather short notice. And, for those who just want to indulge me and hear it again. I've made the recorded version available here. And, my thanks go out to Mickey Bo, my good buddy, who produces the Mickey Bo Rock n Roll Revue (there's a link on the left side of this blog page if you love vintage rock & roll from the 50's and 60's), for recording the interview and sending it to me before I even returned to My McVansion after the interview. I've edited it somewhat to mainly include the meat and potatoes of the actual interview. So, enjoy it, if you're interested. And, as always comment here on the blog or drop me an email and let me know what your thoughts are. 

4 comments:

Mickey Bo said...

You da man, big guy! You deserve the adulation and attention!

John Abert said...

Hi Ed,
You're right, I couldn't get my iPad set up with an app to listen to the original broadcast in time, so I'm glad you set it up this way. It played perfectly on this Friday night. Very interesting, and congratulations on your success. I'll email you later to catch up.
John W. Abert

Ed Helvey said...

Awwww! You're just saying that because it's true, Mickey!!! (said with tongue in cheek)

Ed Helvey said...

Thanks, John! As old Col. Hannibal P. Smith would say on the old TV series, "The A Team," ... "I love it when a plan comes together." Indeed. As I said in interview, I had the dream and lit the fuse. It took all those people who came after me and bought into the dream and nurtured its growth to make it what it has become. True, it would probably have never existed if I hadn't started with "the dream," but beyond that, my part was very small. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Ed