Saturday, December 14, 2013

My McVansion Progress Report

The end of the major build-in construction project for my Mv McVansion is in sight. All the major built in cabinetry is constructed and installed. Next comes the 110 vac and 12 vdc wiring and the 245 amp hour, deep cycle, AGM battery. Most of the rest of the work is the refinements. I'll detail those as I implement them.

The best part is that it's cozy and comfortable.

So, here are the latest photos:

First was the installation of the base for the Visa porta potty and the Black & Decker refrigerator. I had this installed when I went on the last Long Island and New Jersey trip to keep the potty from sliding around the van while driving 

And here it is with the cabinetry installed along with the Black & Decker 2.7 cubic foot refrigerator installed in the cabinet. The top of the refrigerator provides a counter space where a .7 cu. ft. microwave oven will be situated. There is also a shelf to the right of the porta potty enclosure over the wheel well.  

This is a closer shot of the porta potty cabinet. When it's closed it's designed to be an additional work space or, with a cushion on top, a seat.

With the top and front removed, a process that takes about 15 seconds, the porta potty is ready to serve the purpose for which it was designed. It's also easily removable to dump at an sewage dump facility.  

This shows the purpose of the shelf over the wheel well installed between the porta potty enclosure and the workstation desk at the back of the van. The plastic draw units (there are two of them) are screwed together one on top of the other. They are secured to the shelf. The purpose of the draw units is to house office supplies and small equipment and tools, wires, cables and adapters. A portable file box will sit on the shelf in front of the drawer unit. There will be a side piece on the shelf to cover the space below. There's not much space, but I'm sure it will serve for some miscellaneous storage. The space behind the drawer unit up to the bottom of the desk top will house up to three pairs of shoes. 

Here is a picture of the back of the refrigerator cabinet. It is covered by the smaller of the two side doors when the doors are closed. Once again, there is a little space for additional storage under the refrigerator. I have to thank my vandwelling friend, Cuzzin' Dick Tracy (yep, just like the comic strip cop) for the idea of using a two liter, plastic soda crate as a step for entering the van. I was at Walmart while the Pepsi man was restocking the shelves and I asked if he could liberate one of the crates, which he cheerfully did.

This is a photo from the back of the van looking toward the front from the open rear doors. A portion of the workstation desk top is at the lower right. The bunk/couch and storage unit, water storage and food preparation area are on the left. The plastic drawer units, wheel well shelf, porta potty and refrigerator are on the right side. You'll notice that there is plenty of room to walk and navigate through the van, yet everything is very compact and efficient. 

This project has taken a lot more time than I thought it would, but I'm pleased with how it's turning out. Taking the extra time has allowed me to work out the layout and individual parts of the entire space as I've been constructing the vehicle. Since I'll be spending a lot of time in My McVansion, comfort, utility, efficiency and pleasant surrounding are important. I believe I've created a very functional "tiny house" with an adequate amount of homeyness.

4 comments:

Cabotcat said...

Outstanding work. Thank you for sharing these photos and comments.

Ed Helvey said...

Thanks! I appreciate it.

unswydd said...

Great job! I'm very impressed with your work. Thanks for the details and photos!

Ed Helvey said...

Thank you! It's a labor of love (as it is for all of us).