Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life – Contemplative Day – September 24, 2019 – Day 24

What a man takes in by contemplation, that he pours out in love. - Meister Eckhart

Day 24 of this adventure is already coming to an end. Wow! So much has happened and, yet, it only seems like a few days ago. I spent some of my time today in contemplation.

This morning I chatted with my friend Judy before preparing myself to go to the Winchester Cancer Center to have my daily dose of radiation. I had a very supportive phone call on my way there from my long-time friend and client, Dave Yoho. When I arrived, there were two volunteers, a man and a woman, at the entrance who welcome everyone and direct them if they are in need of directions.

The man noticed my Freedom hat and saw my Vietnam Era Veteran pin that I wear on it. He asked if I was a veteran. I said I was and he thanked me for my service. He said he had something to give me and he handed me a card with a poem on it titled “Welcome Heros” and it was written by a retired Navy Commander. I thanked him and asked if he, too, was a veteran. He said he was, I thanked him for his service and asked what branch he served in. It turned out we were both Air Force veterans. I couldn't chat any longer because my appointed 10:15 appointment was just a couple minutes away.

I went in and as always, Michelle and Colleen were there awaiting me so they could get me positioned in my special mold on the radiation machine table. Then they beamed me up and just 15 minutes later they released me.

I checked in with the chemotherapy desk and they had me set to have my lab work done. A few minute wait and I was in having my vital signs taken and then my blood was drawn. They then cut me loose and I was done for the day.

As I was leaving, I stopped again and spoke for about 10 or 15 minutes, with David, the Air Force veteran by the door and we had a more in-depth discussion about our short service careers. For some reason, I've begun to feel much closer to veterans, especially Vietnam or Vietnam Era veterans. Learning of their experiences and attitudes, now that 50+ years have passed, seems to have new meaning to me. We said goodbye and I was on my way walking out to my van.

I needed to make a Walmart stop to pick up some basic groceries and staples to have at Judy's house. I was a bit hungry and since there was a Subway sub shop just inside the door of the Walmart, I treated myself to a tuna salad sub. I just had a taste for tuna fish today. I sat at a table where I could people watch. And, this is where I found myself in some serious contemplation.

Numerous thoughts were being processed as I sat quietly and observed. Young and old, firm and infirm, different colors, races and nationalities. So many thoughts about these individuals passed through my mind as I quietly observed this cross-section of humanity passing before me, sort of like a documentary film. I realized, as I have many times before, that each has a different backstory. Each represents a different perspective on life.

When I was finished with my sandwich, that I consumed very slowly, I thought my contemplative time was over. But, as I obtained a shopping cart and made my way through the store, I found myself still fascinated by the people I was encountering in the shopping aisles. I looked at the items they selected in their shopping carts. Each item seemed to say something about that person.

I completed my shopping, checked out, took my bundles to the van and headed back to Judy's house. She wasn't home. However, I found I was interestingly fatigued. I cannot be sure if it was caused by the radiation treatment or by the amount of brain energy (and maybe some of my heart was involved, too) expended on the contemplation. I took a rest period for about an hour and a half, something quite rare for me. Am I changing? Is this new adventure opening my eyes, mind and heart in ways I hadn't contemplated about myself? I'm a very pragmatic and critical thinking individual, but this all felt very different.

I don't plan to expound on all of what was passing through my mind and heart at this time. However, sometime in the future, I will, after more of these contemplative times and experiences are locked in the memory banks. I don't know if anything profound will come out. One never knows. I only know that I believe I'm enjoying this “adventure.” But, should I be?

Live free and be happy. EH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have noticed during times of great physical duress the tendency to think deeply about things. New thoughts and aha! moments arrive. There is value to everything under the sun provided the attitude sees it all as part of the grand challenge of life uniquely designed for each us.

Lorraine Frantz Edwards said...

Your message is so heart-warming!! Sincere thanks for being so open about your feelings and your new health experiences.

Unknown said...

Wishing You Well...