Monday, September 23, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life – Change – September 23, 2019 – Day 23

I adapt and I adjust to whatever environment I'm in. - Kevin Gates

That's my theme for today. I am writing this article from my temporary bedroom at my friend, Judy's house in Winchester, Virginia. This location is about 15 minutes from where I must be each morning, Monday through Friday for the next five weeks. At exactly 10:15 AM I am brought into the radiation oncology room where I'm bombarded by radiation to kill this cancer tumor inside my stomach and esophagus.

Carolyn drove me into Winchester this morning in time for my treatment. We then made a quick stop at Costco before going to a place called Mission BBQ that I wrote about last week. There I picked up a sandwich for my dinner and one for Carolyn to take home for her dinner. And, then it was off to Judy's house. Carolyn and Judy are also friends. So, upon arrival, I carried my duffel bag in, along with another bag carrying my computer and some other things and a small portable file box. This is all I need to be portable and temporary.

We all chatted for a short time, then Carolyn headed back to West Virginia with her little pooch, who came along with us today, to her home. Her pooch, a beautiful little Pomeranian, is affectionately called “Honey, I'm Home” by Carolyn and “Munchkin” by me. I'm sure she has a complex over this.

Judy headed out to the gym for a session she had planned. And, I was a bit on the tired side, so I laid down and took a break in my room upstairs. Judy and I chatted a bit between her commitments.

While Judy was gone for a while, I had another, I guess I could consider it a serendipity. My phone made an unusual sound like it was ringing. I looked at the screen and there was, none other than the face of my “brother from another mother,” Brian Morris, calling me on a video call from Picton, New Zealand. This was a first-ever for both of us. We've been snail mailing, faxing, emailing and even an occasional Skype audio-only call since about 1988 or earlier.

We had a delightful conversation from halfway around the world. He showed me his house, his stained glass window art he created, a painting he painted, his motorscooter that he's quite proud of and other things. What a joy that call was.

Yes! Today brought change. I moved my weekday location for at least the next five weeks. I had a first time call with my New Zealand buddy on video. We decided since we can do this, we need to do it more often. That's a change. And, there were a few other minor changes that aren't worth mentioning. But, as the opening quotation said, I adapt and I adjust.

I truly believe if we are so stuck in our ways and can't adapt and adjust, life is not only going to be boring, but we'll find ourselves in a rut. And, for those who are not familiar with a certain definition of a rut, simply stated, a rut is a grave with both ends kicked out.

The radiation treatment went as planned. I may have felt a little tired after the treatment, today, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the treatment. I have to find lots of ways to keep my mind and body active and activated through this treatment process – or I might end up . . . in a rut.

Live free and be happy. EH

No comments: