Monday, October 14, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life – If It's Monday, It's #19 – October 14, 2019 – Day 44

Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way. - Viktor E. Frankl

Today was another of those days where Carolyn drove me over the 7 mountains and through the 7 valleys back to Winchester and the Cancer Center. Today is Monday and the day I had my 19th radiation treatment.

If you read yesterday's long post that covered yesterday and the previous five days, you know that last week was quite a week for me. I'll be honest. The fatigue factor is pretty much, at least to date, the only major side effect I'm experiencing from this protocol of radiation five days a week and chemotherapy once a week. But, when I say I'm experiencing fatigue, I mean I AM EXPERIENCING FATIGUE.

I had a good night of sleep last night. But, again, being honest. I really was not looking forward to the drive to Winchester. I had little appetite last night and that carried through until this morning. I know I MUST eat and maintain my weight and I must hydrate constantly. But, between the fatigue and, what I'll call, the mild dread (although it's really not as bad as I'm making it sound) of another treatment, it's hard to maintain my attitude and my motivation.

Carolyn is doing such a great job of helping me keep my attitude up. And, she reminds me, in a caring way, about the importance of nutrition, maintaining my weight and hydration. But, it's the continually increasing levels of fatigue I'm experiencing that is working against my motivation and attitude.

But, I'm determined. When I get to the cancer treatment center, as soon as I approach the door, I stand up straight and strong, put a smile on my face and yank the positive attitude from the depths of my fatigue. I walk in with a big smile and a hello for everyone. 

This morning, Karen, at the radiation reception desk, heard me coming before she even saw me and I heard a “Good morning, Ed,” before I even got to the desk. I asked how her and Julia's (her co-worker at the desk) weekend was. Smiles and response of “Great!” came from both of them.

I then went to the scanner to scan in my bar code so they'd know in the treatment area that I had arrived, but Karen said, I already let them know, just go on in. 

One of our fellow radiation treatment patients had just “graduated” and had his certificate that he was displaying. The rest of us shook his hand with a certain degree of envy and wished he and his wife the best for their future. Strangely, we almost become like a small family.

Then I heard my name called and there was Michelle waving me back for my treatment. As always, everything went like clockwork. We had our few words and a little humor and, #19 treatment became history. And, the positive of that number means I only have nine more treatments to go.

Carolyn had brought her little Pomeranian pooch with us this morning. So, while I was getting “beamed up,” she took “Honey, I'm Home,” Honey, for short, for a walk around the large pond behind the cancer treatment center. We met up at the car and off we went to, yes, once again, Costco. My fatigue kept me in the car where I relaxed with Honey. Carolyn picked up the items she wanted, we fueled up her car and then off we went.

Fifteen minutes later we were at my friend, Judy's, house and I dragged myself in – and with Carolyn's assistance got my “stuff” upstairs to the room I'm using. I walked her back down, we said we'd see each other on Friday when I'd have my next to the last chemo treatment and then head back to West Virginia. She left and I barely dragged myself up to the awaiting bed and collapsed for a while, hoping to regain a little energy and stamina.

Later, I sat on the back deck for a while with Judy's little dog and soaked up some Vitamin D. Then back to the bed for some more rest. When Judy came home she grilled up a couple steaks I had brought from West Virginia last Monday. I was actually hungry by that time, although the baked potato was small and I only consumed about half of my piece of steak. It's now my lunch for tomorrow.

After dinner one of my sisters called and I excused myself and told Judy I'd see her in the morning. I dragged myself up the stairs to my bed, chatted with my sister for a short while and then decided it was time to get today's article written. 

It sounds like an interesting life, doesn't it? Well, I'm one of the lucky ones so far. I'm doing great when I see a lot of other people not doing even a close third to how well I'm bearing up under these treatments. But, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. 

However, I strongly believe maintaining a positive attitude and belief that I'm going to be great when this is all past history is a major part of why I'm doing this well. Blast the fatigue. Life is still great.

Live free and be happy. EH

No comments: