Friday, October 18, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life – Fatigued Revisited – October 18, 2019 – Day 48

Fatigue is the best pillow. - Benjamin Franklin
     
One more week to go! Five more days of radiation and one more day of chemo. Next Friday, October 25th, I slide into home plate with this course of my cancer treatment. Today was a good day. But, it seemed very long and I was not feeling as much stamina and energy as I did yesterday and the day before. I still had about 7 ½ hours of sleep. But, it just wasn't the same.

I'm thinking that thinking about going through the radiation and then the chemo and then the hour and a half drive through the 7 mountains and 7 valleys played with my mind. But, the good thing is that I got through it. Like I do every day, as soon as I approach the door of the cancer center I straighten up, put on my positive happy face and greet everyone with a big smile and positive comment. It works like a charm every time.

I missed seeing Karen today, one of the two women who greet me at the radiation center reception desk. She must have had the day off. But, Julia gave me a big smile and friendly welcome. Everything went as routine, in at 10:15 and out at 10:30. Then I checked in 10 minutes early at the reception desk across the lobby where I go for my chemo treatments. And, received more smiles. And, as soon as Rebecca, inside the chemo treatment received the message I was there and ready, she came out looking for me. So, I went in a bit earlier than my appointment.

All the nurses who administer the treatments are terrific. They are attractive, intelligent, well-groomed, competent and efficient. But, I do have my favorite, Suzie. And, Suzie “got stuck with me” again today. We laughed about it. She has a good, yet kind sense of humor. She got me started and everything went by the numbers. My entire treatment was completed by approximately 1:45 PM.

Carolyn arrived a little after I was undergoing treatment. There was a baked good contest going on in the lobby, so I had picked up several pieces of pastry. Carolyn collected a few more pieces. Too much sweet stuff. It was all very good, but we couldn't eat all we had. So, we had to pass on some of it.

There was an older gentleman, I later learned was 82, in the treatment chair directly across from me. He slept most of the time we were both there. Then two ladies joined him. One, was his sister and the other was his wife, I believe. He woke up when they arrived and Carolyn and I, in our outgoing way, welcomed the women and I made a humorous remark about how the gentleman had been the big “disruptor” of the chemo room. They all picked up on the humor and had some great comebacks.

We soon learned that they were from Keyser, West Virginia. That is where Carolyn lives and where we would soon be heading back to, as would they. The man's sister looked familiar to Carolyn and she commented about it. Yes, indeed. The older woman actually attended the same church Carolyn attended in Keyser. Carolyn sat upfront on the left side of the church and the older woman sat upfront on the right side. Needless to say Carolyn was occupied for the rest of they time they were there. And, I made conversation with the man and his wife. Believe me, this kind of interaction really makes a big difference in controlling the fatigue factor.

I had been reading the first of three indepth articles about Jeff Besos, the founder of Amazon.com and learning a lot about the mind and mission of this man who has become the wealthiest man on the planet. None of the information was directly from Besos. It was from people who had worked with/for him and others who had been analyzing his for decades. They told about his school years, college years, Wall Street years and the early Amazon start-up years. My son, Pete, has worked at Amazon on contract and basically worked on a project directly under Besos. I'm going to talk to him and see how accurate the information is from his personal experience.

I have two more articles to read on Besos and there's also an interesting article on Thomas Edison I want to read in the same issue of “The Atlantic” magazine. Carolyn went to Costco (where else) when we left the cancer center. I went back to Judy's to gather my stuff. Carolyn arrived shortly thereafter. We packed her car. I secured the van. And, off we drove back to West Virginia. It was an uneventful drive that just seemed too long. We arrived at about 5:35 PM, I went to my room and collapsed on the bed. The fatigue had washed over me in the car nearly as soon as I got in the car. And, now, I'm looking forward to a pleasant night of sleep.

Live free and be happy. EH

No comments: