Sunday, March 18, 2012

Photo of the Week #46 – Okay, So It’s Not A Bison



So, here I am, in the Badlands of South Dakota, alone, just my trusty camera and me, when all of a sudden I’m charged by this 1,500 pound Bison. Okay! So, I’m stretching the story just a little. Actually, I was driving along, minding my own business and there was this mountain goat grazing just off the road in Badlands National Park.

I know it’s not as exciting as being charged by a Bison, but . . . hey, it was real wildlife in the wild. This goat just stood there as I stopped the car and snapped its photo. It was basically like having the darn thing pose for me. It was in the late afternoon, so the sun wasn’t in the most advantageous position, but as far as I’m concerned it’s a good photo.

I’ve spoken with others who have had the opportunity to see a herd of bison grazing along with various other forms of wildlife indigenous to the Badlands region. Since South Dakota is my “official” state of residence, I’ll be heading back out that way and spend more time seeking out my “neighbors” and creating a “family album.”

No comments: