Friday, September 23, 2011

Travelers’ Tech Tips (for Nomads, Gypsies, RVers & other Travelers) Tip #3 – Portable Computing Devices


There are all kinds of computing devices currently available. Like cellular phones, computing devices are more a part of our everyday lives then many of us realize. Actually, it is probably more accurate to suggest that we take computing devices for granted. Once upon a time, computers were huge electronic systems that often occupied large rooms and even buildings. They used vacuum tubes in thousands of circuits that created so much heat that they had to be water-cooled. Then, along came semiconductors, also called transistors in the early days. These solid-state devices reduced the size, energy requirement and heat generation of all kinds of electronic equipment ranging from portable transistor radios, televisions, stereo equipment, broadcasting equipment and many other devices including computers.

Eventually, engineers and scientists learned how to create and “grow” entire silicon based circuits and miniaturize electronics more and more. As computing devices became smaller and smaller and more and more powerful they became the “engines” that drove more and more of the things we take for granted. The list is way too long to go into here, but just think as small as a woman’s wrist watch, an mp3 player with a built in dictation recorder, FM receiver and the capability of displaying photographs and video materials while still storing thousands of your favorite pieced of music to systems that facilitate the global financial systems. Even a netbook computer or one of the new generation of tablet computing devices has more computer processing power and memory (storage) then the huge computers that once required an entire building to house them and had to be water-cooled. As a matter of fact, these netbooks and tablets are more powerful then the computers that took men to the moon and back.

Currently, I have and use, three portable computers and I’ll ad a fourth when I decide on buying into a tablet computing device. Currently, I have a full-sized laptop computer, a netbook computer and my new Motorola Matrix 4G cellular phone that actually is a miniature computer with a dual core, 1 GHz microprocessor as its foundation. Each of these portable computers serves a different purpose with some overlap. The total weight of all three computers including a plethora of peripheral devices and accessories is 15 pounds or less. Yet, with these devices I can create documents, communicate globally, send and receive documents, record and produce audio and video productions of all kinds, take still photographs that I can edit and enhance, take care of all my business requirements, talk with people on the telephone either through the wireless cellular network or over the Internet. I can also store and read a huge library of books as well as music, photos and videos. And this only begins to describe all the power I have in this 15 pounds of technology.

Okay! I know. If you’re reading this blog post you have at least a basic savvy and understanding of the power of this technology. But, have you REALLY taken into account or even explored just how much capability you have and the freedom it affords you? Certainly, the younger you are the more you realize this power and you’re probably exploiting at least some of it. My 30-something son is a typical example. He began his computing life at about age 13 or 14 and has built an entire life and career around computing technology. He treks the world and still maintains contact with his clients and customers, does work for them while sitting in some foreign country and still enjoys the freedom of travel and exploration of the physical world.

It is the group of people from about 45 and older who I often hear say things like, “well, I just like having a wired phone line because it’s more reliable then wireless,” or “I won’t  buy anything on line because my credit card could be stolen.” I get email messages from people regularly saying, “I’m going on a trip so I’ll be out of contact for two weeks because I won’t be near my computer.” Now, certainly, it’s nice to get away from home and from routine, after all, isn’t that what vacations are all about, anyway? But, as my friend, Stuart Crump, who I mentioned in the last Tech Tip, so graphically demonstrated to me, you have an “on-off” switch that allows you to control your access to others and others’ access to you. We live in the 21st Century. We are a “connected” society and world. I certainly am not advocating computer or Internet addition (and that has now become another of the additions along with alcohol, drugs, gambling, over-eating, sex, shopping, adrenaline rushes, work, etc.).

The fact is technology and portable computing in the form of the various forms of computers and smart phones actually provide those who embrace and learn to use the technology effectively, efficiently and productively with greater freedom and capability then ever before in the history of human kind. Having one or more of these technologies with you at all times (more and more the latest generation of smart phones) not only allows you to keep in contact with family and friends (especially in an emergency), but allows you to receive and pay bills, transfer funds, check for deposits that should be made that you’re counting on, provide maps and even portable GPS capabilities and even locate you in the event you may be involved in some kind of accident.

I certainly do not obsess with my technology. My technology is there to make my life better, easier, freer and ultimately happier. If my cell phone rings and I don’t want to take the call, I let the message go to voice mail (another wonderful technological tool). If I don’t check my email for multiple hours, so be it. It will be waiting for me when I do get around to checking it. However, if I’m expecting an email or, perhaps, I’m in the midst of some kind of transaction, emergency or other situation that requires keeping on top of my email or phone calls, I don’t have to sit and wait at home or some other fixed location, perhaps, for hours. I can continue with my life, moving forward and still be right on top of the situation. 

Portable computing devices have extended our “leash” virtually globally. While there is certainly a learning curve, most people well into their advanced years (and I know many people well into their 80’s and some, even in their 90’s) are quite proficient on various kinds of computing devices. They’ve learned to use calculators and cable TV boxes. They can learn to use the most valuable capabilities of more advanced computing devices. Like with most things in life, a “Can Do” attitude always trumps a “Can’t Do” attitude. Those who can do will be freer and happier overall, no matter what one’s age is.

No comments: