Sunday, November 20, 2011

Photo of the Week #29 – Las Vegas Skyline



Believe it or not, this is the closest I’ve ever been to downtown Las Vegas. The photo was, obviously, taken from the terminal at the Las Vegas International Airport. In nearly 50 years in the recording industry and, by association, the broadcasting industry, plus years of convention and conference recording work, I’ve never had an assignment or a reason to travel to the city of Las Vegas, Nevada. I may be an anomaly. Since I’m not a gambler (at least of the kind that Las Vegas has built it’s economy and reputation on), I’ve never been attracted to this desert oasis.

This photo was taken on one of the worst and the most expensive domestic air travel experiences in the U.S. to date. I was actually on my way to a family reunion in Lake Tahoe and had to fly through Las Vegas to Reno and on to Lake Tahoe by car. I can’t say that I was overly, impressed by the skyline during the daytime. I’m sure that, from all reports, nighttime in Las Vegas is spectacular. Since I have at least two friends who live in “Sin City,” I’m sure I’ll visit there one of these days. One of my friends is the news anchor on a network affiliate TV station and the other is a “living free” friend who gave up the traditional job scene years ago and spends her time traveling and conducting seminars and workshops.

I guess my knowledge of Las Vegas comes primarily from watching C.S.I. on TV and a couple of older TV shows that were based in and around Las Vegas. As I may have made clear before, growing up just 12 miles from New York City, I’m not a real fan of big cities. Though I’ve been to many, actually, most of the major U.S. cities, I prefer small town Americana, which is probably another reason I’ve never been attracted to Vegas.

No comments: